Friday, August 3, 2012

Farewell, 504

Last meeting of 504 for the summer term! Although it's been less than two months since we started, I feel like we've covered a whole lot that will be very useful to us starting in the fall. We've already learned about several technological tools that can improve our teaching, and we've read fascinating articles/blogs by some really cool, tech-savvy people. I want to thank Jeff and Kristin for their patience, expertise and positive energy- I've really enjoyed this course.

I thought that bringing back a panel of former MAC students was a fantastic way to end the class. I was struck by how capable, knowledgeable and professional they all seemed- it was really inspiring. Also, it was amazing to hear about the diverse environments these teachers ended up in, from a suburban prep school to an inner-city academy for pregnant and parenting teens. It's just so wonderful to know that MAC-ers are making a difference in so many ways. I'm getting all gushy. But it was really, really great to have them visit.

One of the issues we discussed with the panel was how to adjust our teaching for the digital age. We asked ourselves: in a time when students can look up any fact at the touch of a button, is factual knowledge still important to instill? We've learned from authors like Daniel Willingham and Anderson & Krathwohl that factual knowledge is essential because it provides a foundation for higher-order thinking processes. I really like what one of the presenters said, though, about how she feels about teaching historical dates. Rather than expecting her students to know that a certain event happened on January 14, 1682 (for example), she encourages them to develop a sense of chronology. It's less important to remember exact dates than to remember events in a relational sequence. That really makes sense to me.

Anyway, I thought the last class of the term was really rewarding, as the rest of the class has been. Thanks again to our professors! See you all in the fall.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the alums' visit, because WE love it, too, and there was something magical about the way in which the current and past MACers got into conversation. It had always had a more formal exchange before, and this was sooo much more fun. (I mean, who doesn't want to go milk a goat now?)

    Enjoy your well-deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly. I still argue for knowing dates, perhaps because I have been such a victim lately of being required to produce them, but in the end the love of history sustains itself, and if you forgot a date, you've got it in five seconds on your cell phone, so who cares. But I feel as positively about the class as you do, and I think your admirable power of synthesis has as accurately as ever summed up the essence of the course. Jeff and Kristin are 100% UM material and really delivered. As someone who judges on the heart and spirit, I am deeply grateful for what they offered. And as a veteran of grad school, it was *way* worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed the speakers too and I think what you said about students developing a sense of chronology. It seems like an interesting way to teach dates in a history class.

    I also liked hearing about the speakers you had in cohort A. The speakers in cohort B were really wonderful too and it was great to see how MAC-ers are making a difference both in and out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also really enjoyed the positive environment that Jeff and Kristin provided. They are great listeners and they provide great ideas.
    I am also very excited to put my game face on and be as professional as they all seemed. Once we are in our classrooms and we have to deal with real classroom problems and solutions we will act accordingly.
    I also agree with what she said about chronological sequencing. While the dates can be helpful, focusing on the cause and effect of the various events will help in their understanding of the history as a whole. I think her focus is very considerate of the mental process at work during memory facilitation.

    ReplyDelete